National Senior Health & Fitness Day was created to highlight the importance of regular physical activity for senior adults. Everyone is different in the conditions they may have and other personal restrictions, so be sure to follow up with your provider on what the best exercise plan would be for you.
A few things to remember when exercising is to not overdo it, listen to your body, and start off slow then build your way up. Exercising should give you energy and be a fun, stressless activity for you. If you are experiencing pain, shortness of breath, or chest pains, then you need to immediately stop and call your provider.
Kayla Colgrove, Extension Educator at the University of Agriculture and Natural Resources, lists out some activities and benefits of exercising that older people should start using in their daily lives.
Activities to Get Involved In
- Aerobic Activities: Walking, yard work (raking or pushing a lawn mower), dancing, and swimming.
- Strength Activities: Carrying groceries, gardening, squats, lunges, and using exercise bands.
- Balance Activities: Walking heel-to-toe, standing on one leg, and walking backwards.
Benefits of Regular Exercising
- Less pain
- Better mood
- Lower risk of many diseases
- Helps with daily life activities, such as keeping up with the grandkids and doing chores around the house.
Start finding time in your day that you can be more active and strive for a better you through healthy living.
Tria Health Can Help
Tria Health is a no cost benefit available through select members’ health plans. Tria Health’s Pharmacy Advocate Program offers one-on-one, private consultations with a Tria Health Pharmacist. During your consultation, your pharmacist will review all your current medications, including vitamins and supplements. Tria Health will assist you in identifying any possible drug interactions or savings opportunities! Your pharmacist will work with you and your doctor(s) to ensure the intended outcomes from your medications are being received.
Contact the Tria Health Help Desk at 1.888.799.8742